Welcome to the homepage of the Anthony Halberstadt Chapter SAR. We are a chapter of the Indiana Society of the Sons of the American Revolution located in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Our chapter is named after Anthony Halberstadt who was conscripted by the German army to come and fight in the Revolutionary War on the side of the British as a Hessian mercenary. He was captured by George Washington’s troops in the battle of Trenton. He became a teamster for a Continental Army officer. He married an English woman named Miller and after the war came by flatboat down the Ohio River to Franklin County, Indiana in 1806. There he settled and was probably the first Coroner of Franklin County. It is believed he is buried in the graveyard of the Cedarville Baptist Church near Brookville, IN, although there is no stone. He was the Patriot Ancestor of Jim Halberstadt, one of our chapter founders.
Some of the notable activities of our chapter include:
- Arrange with local high schools for their participation in the Joseph S. Rumbaugh Historical Oration Contest.
- Arrange with local high school authorities for participation by students who are in their Junior or Senior year in the George S. and Stella M. Knight Essay Contest.
- Arrange with local elementary schools for their participation in the Americanism Elementary School Brochure and Poster Contests,
- Sponsor local elementary, middle and high school teachers to participate in the Dr. Tom and Betty Lawrence American History Teacher Award
- Place and dedicate SAR bonze markers at the graves of members and/or Revolutionary War veterans.
- Furnish capable and interesting speakers to schools, organizations, public meetings, and other similar events and gatherings.
- Sponsor or participate in celebrations of historic events and national holidays.
- Recognize outstanding JROTC cadets by awarding JROTC bronze medals to local High School JROTC participants.
- Recognize outstanding Navy Sea Cadet Corps cadets by awarding Bronze Good Citizenship medals to local NSCC participants.
- Recognize local Eagle Scouts by selecting and sponsoring candidates for the SAR Arthur M. & Berdena King Eagle Scout Contest.